Insurance broker

Recreational Vehicles and Insurance Coverage Go Together

A few recreational vehicles (RV’s) function as vehicle and home at the same time. Therefore, it should follow that when you ply the roads on your large motor home, you need vehicle insurance for your protection. How about the smaller types of recreational vehicles that are there to merely provide pleasure? Should they be insured too?

Basically, the following are the common recreational vehicles that people buy:

  1. Snow mobiles
  2. All-terrain vehicles
  3. Fifth Wheel Motor homes
  4. Personal Watercraft
  5. Boat

All of these should be covered by insurance. Accidents happen anytime anywhere and insurance can protect your property. Further, there exists specialty insurance coverage for ATV’s, dirt bikes, and dune buggies if you love roughing it on sand. Are you aware that golf carts should also have insurance? Well, it is simply because certain communities use golf carts as they main vehicle to get from one place to another. But, the homeowner’s policy you have might not cover all the costs of medical expenses or costs of repair to damaged property if you do get into an accident while on your off road vehicle.

Recreational vehicles need insurance coverage all their own. Here a few reasons for getting additional coverage:

  1. Things of high value such as computer laptops, TV’s, camcorders, and other expensive property are usually not included in standard auto insurance. Although these things are covered under the homeowner’s policy, the fact that they are outside the “residence premises” means they won’t be eligible for compensation.
  2. Parking your recreation vehicle, for instance a trailer, at a campsite also leaves you with a certain responsibility for the area surrounding your vehicle. Just in case a person gets injured or another person’s property gets damaged there, you can be held responsible for it.
  3. First-time damage while on the road using your vehicle.

Recreational Vehicle Insurance Coverage Options

The liability coverage for an RV includes:

  1. Physical Injury and Property Damage liability – (PI/PD) is coverage for accidents having to do with injury to a person or damage to another person’s property. If a person is found liable, the insurance offers to pay for:
    1. Replacement or repair of the property
    2. Medical bills accrued by an injured party
    3. Lost wage or lost income of the injured party
  2. Uninsured or underinsured motorist – the person may have an insufficient insurance or does not have any at all, the UUM insurance coverage offers protection for the injuries incurred when the at-fault party is liable.
  3. Medical and other Health Miscellaneous Payments – in certain cases, damage or injury is incurred by the passengers of the van or car.
  4. Roadside Assistance – RA offers coverage for the cost of towing the damaged vehicle and taking it to a repair shop. Payment for labor is also shouldered.

In many instances, the low cost auto insurance for Philadelphia residents is not extensive enough to include your RV. Thus, we recommend that you look for the best insurance brokerage in the Delaware Valley to talk to you about the necessity of getting insurance for your off-road and fifth-wheel vehicles.   Ask the auto insurance specialist in Philadelphia to tell you what is and what is not included in the coverage. You should specifically ask whether trailers are covered or whether optional equipment for the off-road vehicle is part of the coverage. You must remember that not all insurance brokers in Bucks County are the same, thus, you must find the right broker.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments yet.

Add your response